PARTICIPANTS: ALEJANDRO ARAGON (PHD), SOHEIL SOGHRATI (PHD), PROF. ARMANDO DUARTE (U. ILLINOIS), PROF. SCOTT WHITE (U. ILLINOIS) AND PROF. PHILIPPE GEUBELLE
SUPPORT: AFOSR MURI
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: In this project, we combine a generalized finite element method developed in-house with a multi-objective/constraint genetic optimization scheme to perform the computational design of biomimetic microvascular materials with active cooling capabilities. At the heart of the problem is the ability to model in an accurate and efficient fashion the cooling effect created by complex network of microchannels embedded in a polymeric component subjected to a variety of thermal loading. Objective functions include the flow efficiency and void volume fraction associated with the microvascular network, and the maximum temperature obtained in the thermally loaded domain. CURRENT EMPHASIS IS PLACED IN INCORPORATING THS TECHNOLOGY IN A 3D FIBER-REINFORCED COMPOSITE TO BE USED FOR HIGH TEMPERATURE APPLICATIONS. THE CHALLENGE HERE CONSISTS IN COMBINING THE PRESENCE OF THE MICROVASCULAR NETWORK WITH THE COMPLEX MICROSTRUCTURE OF THE COMPOSITE AND TO INVESTIGATE THE IMPACT OF THE EMBEDDED NETWORK ON THE THERMAL AND STRUCTURAL RESPONSE OF THE COMPOSITE.
- Aragón, A. M., Wayer, J. K., Geubelle, P. H., Goldberg, D. E. and White, S. R. (2008) “Design of microvascular flow networks using multi-objective genetic algorithms”. Comp. Methods Applied Mech. Eng., 197, 4399-4410. DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2008.05.025.
- Aragón, A. M., Hansen, C. J., Wu, W., Geubelle, P. H., Lewis, J. and White, S. R. “Computational design and optimization of a biomimetic self healing/cooling material.” In Behavior and Mechanics of Multifunctional and Composite Materials 2007, Edited by M. J. Dapino. Proceedings of SPIE, 6526. San Diego, CA, March 2007.
- Olugebefola, S. C., Aragón, A. M., Hansen, C. J., Hamilton, A. R., Kozola, B. D., Geubelle, P. H., Lewis, J. A., Sottos, N. R., and White, S. R. (2009) “Polymer-microvascular network composites.” To appear in J. Composite Materials.
- Wu, W., Hansen, C.L., Aragón, A.M., Geubelle, P.H., White, S.R. and Lewis, J.A. (2009) “Direct-write assembly of biomimetic microvascular networks for efficient fluid transport.” To appear in Soft Matter Communication.
- Aragón, A. M., Duarte, C. A. and Geubelle, P. H. (2009) “Generalized finite element enrichment functions for discontinuous gradient fields”. IJNME. DOI: 10.1002/nme.2772.