PROJECT TITLE: MULTISCALE COHESIVE MODELING OF FAILURE IN HETEROGENEOUS ADHESIVES
PARTICIPANTS: MOHAN KULKARNI (PHD – CURRENTLY AT EXXON RESEARCH), ALEJANDRO ARAGON (PHD – CURRENTLY AT T.U. DELFT), PROF. KAREL MATOUS (U. NOTRE DAME), PROF. SCOTT WHITE (U. ILLINOIS) AND PROF. PHILIPPE GEUBELLE
SUPPORT: NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION (CMMI)
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: In this project, we develop and implement a multiscale cohesive finite element framework to extract the cohesive failure properties of heterogeneous adhesives such as rubber-toughened epoxy, self-healing adhesives and other multi-functional adhesives. Unlike “classical” cohesive models which are chosen for mathematical convenience, this framework allows to relate in a mathematically consistent way the failure processes taking place at the micro-scale to the macroscopic cohesive failure response of the adhesive system. We also develop a fully two-way coupled implementation of the multi scale cohesive scheme, allowing for the simultaneous solution of the nonlinear equations describing the equilibrium at the macro- and micro-scales.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For more information about this project, see this document.
- Matous, K., Kulkarni, M. G. and Geubelle, P. H. (2008) “Multiscale cohesive failure modeling of heterogeneous adhesives”. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 56:4, 1511-1533. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2007.08.005.
- Kulkarni, M., Geubelle, P. H. and Matous, K. (2009) “Multi-scale modeling of heterogeneous adhesives: Effect of particle decohesion”. Mech. Mater., 41, 573-583. DOI:10.1016/j.mechmat.2008.10.012.
- Kulkarni, M. G., Matous, K. and Geubelle, P. H. (2010) “Coupled multi-scale cohesive modeling of heterogeneous adhesives.” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 84, 916-946. doi: 10.1002/nme.2923.
- Geubelle, P. H., Maiti, S., Kulkarni, M. and Matous, K. “Multiscale cohesive modeling of fatigue response of a self-healing composite”. First International Conference on Self-Healing Materials, Noordwijk, Netherlands, April 2007.
- Aragón, A. M., Soghrati, S., and Geubelle, P. H. (2013) “Effect of in-plane deformation on the cohesive failure of heterogeneous adhesives.” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 61:7, 1600-1611. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmps.2013.03.003.